Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Figgy Choc Shot Peanut Butter Bars

This is one of my favourite, favourite snacks: fig, peanut butter, cinnamon, and choc shot. Yum. YUM.

Trouble is, its also a tad messy, which is all very well if you're up at midnight eating straight out of the cupboard when nobody can see you. However, if its a friend's birthday and you want to share this delectable flavour combination, a box of dribbly gooey (if delicious) dried fruit with toppings is not the way to go.

I had to repackage this into bar form somehow so it was more convenient and presentable. Only trouble was, I really didn't want to add anything else into it. The flavours were perfect, and they had to remain separate and distinct to recreate the decadence that is this snack. But I couldn't literally pour those ingredients on top of one another and hope they'd magically turn into a bar. I needed flour of some kind. Oat flour was my initial thought, but my friend is very sensitive to grains, so that wasn't really an option. Almond flour was my next thought, but I figured it would still take a bit of the flavour away from the essential ingredient list.

Then I realised what a moron I'd been.

Peanut flour.

DUH.


These bars are still VERY gooey, you'll need a spoon, and don't expect the choc shot to set in any way, but its well worth it for the pure perfection that is this desert.

Choc Shot PB Fig Bars

by Shonalika Tilak
Ingredients (12-15 squares)
  • 1 cup peanuts
  • 8 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon (or more!)
  • 1 1/2 cups figs, soaked
  • Salt
  • Choc shot syrup*
Instructions
1. Whir peanuts in a food processor until a flour-like texture is achieved. Mix in a bowl with peanut butter and cinnamon (and salt, dependent on whether your PB is salted. I used salted PB and added 1/4 tsp salt).
2. Press mixture into a lined tray. Really press hard! I used the bottom of a glass.
3. Blend figs with 1/4 tsp salt, and soaking water until a smooth, spreadable puree is achieved.
4. Spread mixture over base and bake in pre-heated oven at 180C for 10-12 minutes, until browned slightly.
5. You can then apply the choc shot immediately, as I did - the heat will melt it immediately and help it spread. Get a nice layer across them, then bung in the freezer.

*If you don't have access to choc shot, another fruit-based chocolate syrup might work, or you could try making your own! Regular melted chocolate won't have the same flavour, so I'd definitely recommend getting hold of this stuff if you can:)
Powered by Recipage

1 comment:

  1. SO Good looking! Yum yum - the PB explosion on the base sounds amazing. Definitely on my to-do list :D

    ReplyDelete