Friday, 19 December 2014

Middle Eastern-Italian Fusion Linguine




I'm back! Just in time for Christmas:D

This pasta was first created as a direct result of me being in student accommodation in Norway with no access to any fancy ingredients. Just veg, pasta, wine, and a giant tub of strange slightly solid hummus that we bought from a Middle Eastern supermarket - the idea of it being, I think, that you would just whisk in any additional flavours and seasonings you wanted and thin it out to your desired consistency. Basically, no blender bother.  Quite clever really.



I'd seen a recipe before for hummus in noodles, which I'd wanted to try for a while, so I figured, why not try the same in pasta? My guess was that it would serve as a great base for a thick creamy sauce, and it does. So well. I thought it would be fun to mix traditional hummus-y flavours with Italian ones, and the result is a tangy, highly unusual but quite delectable dish. The roasted bell peppers just take it over the top. Try it out!

Middle Eastern/Italian Fusion Linguine

by Shonalika Tilak
Ingredients (Serves 2)
  • 2 servings dry linguine or spaghetti*
  • ¼ cup heaping basic hummus (chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, salt) or just use your favourite
  • ¼ cup milk (I used soya)
  • 1 tbsp white wine
  • ¼ tsp chilli powder
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 2 large white mushrooms
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 1 green chili
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
1. Slice bell peppers into thin strips and cook in pre-heated oven for 15-20 mins.
2. Finely dice the remaining vegetables and sauté on a medium heat.
3. In the meantime, mix hummus, milk, white wine and chilli powder into a thick sauce.
4. Cook linguine according to packet instructions. (Salt the cooking water!)
5. When the vegetables have cooked until broken down, add the hummus sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then add linguine and most of the bell peppers.
6. Serve and garnish with remaining peppers and seasoning.

Notes
* I know, I know, its not linguine in the photos. These are from  the second time I made it, which wasn't as good as the first. I genuinely think half the reason was that the pasta wasn't linguine. The flavours just don't distribute as well. So USE LINGUINE. (And definitely don't miss out the wine!)

Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment