Friday, 11 July 2014

Coconut Asparagus



Have you been to Tiger? I love that place. Its so full of brightly coloured cheap pointless things. Last time I was there I found a doorstop shaped like a splatter. I would have brought it home if we didn't already have perfectly suitable wooden cat and plush pig doorstops already.

Its also very random in terms of content. I found a shelf full of herbs, spices and seasonings flanked by multicoloured candles and printed napkins on one side, and glowing pink plastic rabbits on the other. Well, they're well-priced and the Tzatziki seasoning looked interesting (as well as slightly more practical.)




I used it to make this delicious, simple side dish - the coconut is what really shines here though, don't skimp on it! As for the Tzatziki mix, I'd imagine any would work, but if you don't have it, the ingredient list looked pretty simple: Mostly powdered garlic and salt, with sugar, lemon, dill and black pepper mixed in. Just use a bit of each of these and you're good to go:)


Coconut Asparagus

by Shonalika Tilak
Cook Time: 15-20 mins
Ingredients (Serves 3-4 as a side)
  • 1 bunch asparagus
  • 1 chili
  • 3 cloves garlic (Optional, I threw these in more to compliment the dishes I was pairing the asparagus with than as a compliment to the asparagus itself)
  • 1 tbsp Tzatziki Seasoning (See last paragraph above.)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • Dried dessicated coconut
Instructions
1. Wash asparagus and chop off woody ends. Cut in half. (If you want to reduce stove-top cooking time, you can steam the asparagus for 5 mins in the microwave.)
2. Using a knife, cut a slit into each garlic clove, if using. Chop chilli.
3. Heat oil in pan. Add veg, Tzatziki mix, and saute until cooked to the level of softness you like.
4. Turn off the heat, add lemon juice and lots of coconut. Adjust spices/ seasonings to taste, and serve.
Powered by Recipage

4 comments:

  1. I've not heard of Tiger. Sounds like a fun store!
    I've never seen Tzatziki seasoning before but I'd love to try it. I always have to substitute the Tzatziki when it comes on Mezze platters as it contains milk or yoghurt. I bet it's easy to make a vegan version though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in there yesterday and was tempted by a calculator shaped like a foot, a full-body lyrcra suit and a solar-powered hula dancer. Instead I got a packet of dried apricots. xP

      I'd reckon so! I use Sojade because its the best soy yogurt I've tried - coconut is supposed to be amazing but its stupid expensive, and I've yet to come across almond in the UK:/

      Delete
  2. I like the name Tiger though. Coconut & Tzatziki-seasoned asparagus….that looks wonderful and miam!

    ReplyDelete