Wednesday, 18 June 2014

"Tuna" Pasta



I'm in Edinburgh. The good news is that all my exams are over and I've got a good bit of free time to focus on things like blogging. The bad news is that I blog with my partner's camera. Said camera is currently with my partner. Said partner is currently nowhere near Edinburgh.

My sister, who is a secret vlogger (she records, but doesn't upload...?) has ordered a camera. Its designed for vlogging but apparently takes good stills. We shall see. If not you (and she) may have to contend with me borrowing her phone to blog with. Mine certainly isn't up to the job. If only I could waft the smells of food at people over the internet instead! 

Let me assure you in written form that this recipe is up to any job you fancy giving it, preferably one that involves being eaten. 

To be perfectly honest however I'm not sure how much credit I can really take: this post is going to mostly be me raving about this "tuna" by the brilliant Margaux Mouton. It's amazing. As the author states on her original post, it doesn't taste "just like tuna" as such - but I swear it will bring back and perfectly serve any purpose tuna might have once held in your life. And this is coming from a former fish-lover. It has that tangy, fishy, salty flavour, and the delightfully chewy fishy texture, and there's something very fishy about how addictive it is. I'm now on my fourth batch.

I love it in toasties, or spooned over roasted spicy carrots and broccoli, but this helter-skelter pasta I threw together one night has got to be one of my favourites - it really is delicious, especially with veggie mayo. Yes I eat mayo with pasta. And with pizza. It's a habit that dates back from childhood, but trust me. It's delicious.

So delicious.



"Tuna" Pasta

by Shonalika Tilak
Cook Time: 10 mins
Ingredients (1 serving)
  • 1 serving dried pasta
  • 1/4 cup "Tuna" (See link to recipe above. I omit the celery, add 1 tbsp lemon juice, and use a generous amount of soy milk to make it smoother - if you go for tofu instead you'll probably end up with an even creamier and more delicious pasta.)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 big handfuls spinach, torn
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions. (I always salt the cooking water.)

2. Saute veg and chill powder in a pan until cooked through. Turn off heat and stir in lemon juice.

3. Drain pasta and add to vegetables along with 1-2 tbsp butter-type spread. Stir in "tuna." Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve (with mayo:D)
Powered by Recipage

6 comments:

  1. Yay! :D I'm so glad you made it...and made me ravenous in the process! Tuna pasta is now on my dinner menu for the week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your tuna has genuinely become a staple for me, I used to love the stuff in my pre-vegan days. And it completely makes this recipe:D

      Delete
  2. This sounds strangely delicious, I almost feel like I can imagine the taste (and I haven't eaten tuna in a long time!) Tempted to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is so good - the taste isn't identical to tuna, but it is DELICIOUS. Definitely a worthy substitute:D

      Delete
  3. Yay for exams being over! Enjoy your time at home.
    It's weird that there are a bunch of foods I didn't like pre-vegan but now like they're "equivalents" as a vegan. nut cheeses, chickpea tuna and other stuff!
    This sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes you said that about the quiche recipe you put up, I still need to try that! I haven't eaten any nut cheeses yet - I reckon because I hardly ate real cheese to begin with and don't miss it. Then again, I never ate much real meat to begin with but like "fake" meats on the odd occasion, so maybe I should give them a try:)

      Delete